PHP: What is PHP?By Kristoffer Bohmann
Basic info about PHP with links to open source CMS systems and Web application frameworks.
- PHP is a scripting language.
- PHP is a framework for Web applications.
- PHP is an abbreviation for "Personal Home Page".
Why use PHP
- Easy to use.
- High performance.
- The language is constantly being improved and expanded with new functionality.
- PHP has a vibrant, friendly and active community. See for instance Zend DevZone, ONLamp.com, IBM developerWorks.
- Supports most databases including SQL Server, MySQL and SQLite.
- Web-hosting is cheap (from 1,2 Euros/mth).
- PHP is Free.
Who uses PHP
Content Management Systems built on PHP
Excellent and free CMS systems built on PHP, many of them have e-commerce integrations:
- Drupal - highly flexible system, often used for news publishing, e-commerce and corporate homepages.
- WordPress - excellent for corporate blogs.
- eZ Publish
- CMS Made Simple
- ... and many more.